Monday, November 17, 2008

My heart longs for Thee


This summer our six year old grandson,Nathan always insisted on swimming til he ran out of "gas". Here he is getting some TLC from his number one fan. (Me.) He and I have this thing we do, well I've done it with my kids for thirty years, even though they are adults now. When we have to be separated, we always run to the windows. We point to our eyes , then our hearts, then to each other, whoever does it last has to hold up two fingers. And we always laugh. Our own version of signing "I love you."My kids did it from school bus windows, from across the yard, at night as the last kisses and hugs and tucking in was taking place. It's a family tradition of the nicest kind.
Nathan, being Nathan had to learn it with his own flair. A few weeks ago we were doing that and I added the two fingers up (two) of course meaning too. He ran back to the car and signed I love you, and held up four fingers. More than two. I adore this boy. Totally. Much more than four. On his birthday card later in the week, I wrote I love you more than four. He giggled. So now we have a new secret thing we do..just us. Our own language of love.
Tonight as I sit here writing, I am thinking of how much I love Him. Certainly, much more than four, but not as deeply as I long to love Him, the One who guards my steps. I once read that inside each of us is a God sized hole..I think that's only partially true. Inside each of us is a space just made for God, then he comes along and fills it and keeps adding and adding. Always more than we would have ever asked for, more than we knew He would. I am amazed by a Heavenly Father who loves me more than I know I can be loved. With a grateful heart, I continue to learn and to lean.
Nathan's Blessing...honestly. I just had to share it with you.
"God is Great. God is Good. For Our Blessings.(he refuses to say 'let us thank Him') For our food. I hope this tastes ok. Thanks God. Amen."
Just about says it all, but one of these days his mother is gonna brain him for the 'hope this tastes ok' bit, it aggravates her every single time. But then, I think that's part of why he says it. Sometimes He gets wordy and adds a whole big thing about God watching the people who don't have any food and people who are mean to each other and people who nobody loves. Sometimes he asks God to help the people who are left alone on earth now that someone they love has died.I keep my eyes closed a bit longer when he prays like that..it lets the tears dry a bit. Kisses to my sweet little Nathan and praise to the Father who blessed our family with him. Nathan has been teaching us all lessons on love for six wonderful years. Pure and sweet as only a child can do. Thank You Father.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Beautiful.

I have no other words....

You are blessed.

Dave's views said...

We are both blessed, my love, for having such a wonderful grandson like Nathan. He is one of a kind. He will always be our little guy, no matter how big he gets.