Friday, November 14, 2008

struggles, resolutions, blessings.

Daily, God is making me thankful for the little things in my life, as I stated in my previous entry. My dear, sister of my heart, Deb, has been ill with a cold, then last night we had a bit of a scare.I'll leave the telling of it up to her, but suffice it to say, I have had some lightbulb moments today because of it. First of all, I confess, I trust few women. Unfortunately my experiences with women in the nursing profession has usually been one of superficial friendships and short-lived alliances. I guess in retrospect, that was been pretty much the story of my life with friends in my twenties, and thirties. Over the past few weeks, Our Lord has made it clear to me, I am blessed with friends of tremendous quality. My cup runneth over.

So, today I want to list some of the realizations being a mature friend and having mature friends has given me. It's just a start...

Having a true friend means

I don't have to worry about being alone. If we need a sisterly hug, it's just a simple matter of a call or an email.
She likes my yucchy clothes that are old and worn but ever so comfortable, I like her baggy tees too. It makes us, us. And the 80's are still in style. So are the 70's if the size is right.
All of our kids are perfect and in the rare instance they aren't we simply reassure each other they will be fine..and they are. Ditto husband. Ditto mothers.
Her friends are mine and my friends are hers and if any person doesn't treat one of us kindly, they will probably get a dirty look from the other.
She listens while I audibly think through doctrine issues, music questions and medical problems. She knows the difference between seeking guidance and just venting.
Five minutes laughing with her is better than any antidepressant ever created. Period.
She doesn't laugh at my sudden urge to have long hair one more time before I get old, and she doesn't kindly point out that age 50 is well on the way. Or that long hair won't make me thirty again.
We can sit and crochet quietly together...saying nothing and hearing each other perfectly.
Sharing a pact to speak only positives about our spouses not only strengthens our marriages, but solidifies our friendship.
I understand her tears. She understands I can't cry. It's all ok.
We can openly gush about how we love the Lord.
We can complain about the total lack of a good support bra without underwire that is affordable and lasts at least 500 washings. Now how many others would get that?
We know time will change us, so we are making memories today. Each day.
Nothing is off bounds to talk about..boogers, facial hair, hot flashes...

I love being imperfect with my friend. It's ok, it's something we have in common. Thanks Deb, You are a jewel and I'm so blessed to call you friend.
Hugs to all other friends too. I can't wait to meet you...I bet God is smiling at our laughter...

3 comments:

Pat said...

This was so beautiful and I could relate to every point, for instance, I'm growing my hair out...before it's too late. I think it may already be too late, but I've decided that it's my hair and I'll do what I please!!
The depth of friendship has no limits, it's somthing that I learn more about with each passing day.
We have a lot in common my friend, and we both think the world of Deb!

Deb said...

Dawna....I'm speechless.
And in tears (of course!)

I love you.

Dawna said...

Yes, we do, in spite of her oddities! (gotcha) Anyhow, Pat,I laughed when I read the thing about your hair. What a woman! Smiles and Hugs and Oh, gee, but this hair is driving me nuts....