Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Birthday to me....

Today began much as any other day. Wonderful church service, with the words reaching deep inside me and convicting me of things I have long ignored. We were scheduled to have lunch with Mindie and Jim, but they aren't in church. I know they will be nervous about having everything just "so" since Mom and CR and Dave and I will all be over around 1:30.

We took the dog for a walk and talked and had a usual Sunday relax-a-thon waiting til time to leave. I asked Dave if he minded if I took Teddy (da dog) with us since I hadn't seen him all morning and he was acting "clingy" Sure.

SURPRISE!! I couldn't believe my eyes. Dave was smiling and talking fast. Now if you know my husband he NEVER talks fast..calm, cool and collected. There were cars all over the side yard. A party. For me? I'll be 50 Thursday. I'm so touched the tears are just there. I can't believe all these people came out for me. It was amazing. Dear friends, cherished relatives, beloved people from my present and past. Mindie's phone rang and I talked for a few moments with my son from Texas...only he wasn't in Texas. He and his wild angel baby girl came walking out of the house. I couldn't even see them for the tears. I am so blessed. How I praise the God who knows my heart. All the gold in the world aren't worth being surrounded with so many people I love.

What an afternoon. Beautiful, I am without words, except to thank Him. The One who knew just what I wanted for my birthday and put it all in place to make it happen. Mindie and Jim made me a scrapbook of memories. Priceless. But even moreso was the way they welcomed everyone into their home, how they picked Randy and Evelyn up at the airport and kept him "hidden" until today. I feel so loved. My darling hubby working hard to get pictures, chairs and more out of the house when I was away. My wonderful parents digging in their attic for keepsake photos and Mom making her own spectacular home baked cheesecake. I am blessed. Friends from the church surrounding me with love. Deb and Olivia, quiet love. Solid rock. My dear brother Denny and his family, again surrounding me with their love and gentle teasing. I am blessed.

There are so many more who I haven't mentioned (Pastor Bill, Jim and Amanda, Tim and Loretta, Emmy and Allie, Troy, Sandi, Tom and the girls, Dave's parents, Paula and Larry, and more....) I am a woman who invested a little love and feel as if it has grown tenfold. Joyce even got me a pattern for new dishcloths to crochet. Does she know me or what??? And lunch with Evie...we'll have a blast. Gina and Ron had a huge bag of gifts, funny and more funny...those pamphlets she got me, well, she'll be getting them back one of these days! (My women friends from our Tuesday morning group are nothing short of awesome) There is so much more. But overall I feel loved and cherished. Funny, I already knew I loved all of them...guess I never thought they might love me as much....I am blessed...

Isn't God good. Not a question, but a statement uttered in awe.

I looked for love in the red rose but saw thorns.
I looked for love in the rainbow, but it faded away.
I searced for love in the eyes of strangers, and found naught.
But in the heart of believers, yes, there I found His love.

Hugs,
Dawna

7 comments:

Deb said...

It was indeed a beautiful day and you deserve every single ounce of all the love that was bestowed upon you. You are worth it. period.

(You also deserved the pamphlets...and the rainbonnet...and the chicken... and the 'Mr. Magoo' magnifiers...
and the epsom salts... and the powder (which prevents chafing!)...

He will renew your life and sustain you in your OLD age. - Ruth 4:15

Dawna said...

All I can say is it's a good thing I love ya. You are precious, even if your sense of humor in your comment left me crushed and weeping...
Hugs
Dawna
ps. Did I tell you, you are precious??? You know I forget things.

Dave's views said...

Happy Birthday, my love! I am so glad you had a wonderful day. I know you were surprised, and I must say, it was hard keeping this a secret. But, I did! Mindie and Jim were a big help. They deserve a lot of the credit. Until next year.....We might do it all over again!!

Margie said...

what a great day to celebrate one is awesome!!

You are loved!

Sara said...

welcome home sister.

Mrs. Mac said...

Glad you are back ... now I have to go add you back to my favorite links and visit you once again. Welcome to the nifty fifties ... God's blessings to you.

Hugs from the North Woods

Dawna said...

Thank you all for the wonderful words and kindness. I'm amazed you remembered me. I was Ms Turtle for soooo long. Does anyone know Natalie Grant's song "The Real Me"? It's my new theme song. hugs..Dawna