Wednesday, October 22, 2008

sprinkles on chocolate donuts..

This is Teddy Z Bear. No I didn't name him, well, I gave him his middle name. I was afraid his feelings were hurt because he was the only one in the family without a middle name. Hence, "Z". He is a little white Pekingese and is absolutely the best dog we have ever had. Daily, I am thankful he chooses to let us live with him. If you have ever had a Pekingese, or any small dog for that matter, you know exactly what I'm saying. This post could also be titled, "Ode to Dog."

About three months ago I mentioned to my hubby I would like a dog. A little dog. Four years ago, my other dog had to be put to sleep at age 18. I checked our local "freecycle Mercer County" website to see if anyone had a dog we could adopt. Well, a relative saw my ad and she had a friend of a friend.... Dave gave me "the look" when I mentioned there was a little Pekingese I thought we should go see. He and I met Teddy around 5pm on a nice warm summer day. By 5:05 we knew he was perfect for us. He rarely barks and he loves being loved. Perfect. I have never looked back.

Last winter I had three back surgeries. I was cooped up and lonely. (Some have even said grumpy!) I spent days sitting in a funk, wishing I could be a nurse again and wondering what God had in store for me. This year I vowed to find some positive way to "put in" another long winter. I prayed for some diversion to allow me to face being indoors for long periods of time without going bonkers. God's answer was in the form of our little furball. He is my cat/dog, but becomes highly offended if I meow for him. He actually thinks he's a big dog. We just let him believe....

Tonight, after having Burger King for supper, and bringing home a cheeseburger for Teddy Z, I started thinking of how unexpectedly God keeps adding extra, wonderful things to my life. Things that will make me smile through snowy roads and days stuck inside, unable to risk falling and loosening the hardware that holds the bottom part of my spine intact. Things to make me think outside of myself. It's hard to look at Teddy and not smile. With his smooshy little face and huge brown eyes, he is ugly/cute. Perfectly imperfect. When I look at him, I see love. Simply uncomplicated. Furry and occasionally messy. So soft and cuddly. But not at all wimpy. He simply stares at me when I tend to obsess over my messy closets or when the neighbors leaves blow all over my yard and I need to vent. He's a wonderful listener.

I have what most would consider a good life (and I do too), not Polyanna (boring)perfect, but solid and stable. Yet, with all the blessings God has placed in my path, He still offers me little special touches. Undeserved blessings to make me realize no matter how unlovely I may feel in my imperfection, He loves me. As is. Period. Wow. So with all the obvious things for which I am very thankful (Precious family, special heart-friends, a wonderful old creaky warm home, etc) I also need to take time to thank God for the sprinkles on donuts (I love them) and for little pets that love to sit on my freezing feet. Isn't God something!

So, please forgive my rambling tonight. I'm sitting here with warm feet and a warm heart. Thanks to little Teddy Z Bear...and a Heavenly Father who knows exactly what I need. Always.

Oh, and Little Olivia got Teddy a Halloween costume..I'll post a pic soon. Thanks again Deb and Olivia. If there ever was a little dog that will help her get over her dogaphobia, Teddy Z Bear can do it!

4 comments:

Deb said...

What a great post!

In one of my work-my-way-through-college jobs, I was a baker at a Mr. Donut store. I spent all night making donuts. Never could understand why I was called a baker when donuts are fried...

....anyway....I used to love the different holidays because it meant I could put festive leaf-shaped or turkey-shaped or snowman-shaped...or whatever shaped - sprinkles on the donuts. :)

...and God's love is just like a dog's...unconditional and perfect!

This post makes me want to go out and get a dog!! I miss Chauncy.

Deb said...

the word verification for the previous post was "antsy"

...and the one for this one is "randish" ...is that sorta like Randy?...only Randish?...

?!

Dawna said...

ty Deb. You're a regular walking Webster's. I always make up my own words, you know that. You must have some of my genetics. We're probably cousins a zillion times removed.....hugs

Jada's Gigi said...

She's adorable! God is so good even in the little things.