Thursday, October 16, 2008

more thinking out of the box...


Each Tuesday a small group of us meet for coffee. And talk. And connect. There is no bitchiness here. No room for backbiting and sarcasm. Just us. We pray for each other, we pray for our friends, we pray for the coffee house. We laugh and act silly. We cry and hug sometimes too.
A few weeks ago one of the women said she couldn't wait til we could have our meeting in the local Christian coffee house that is about ready to open in town. Joyce, one of our dear friends who has a heart the size of Texas, remarked we should stay where we are because we are a testimony to each and every person within earshot of our corner. How right she is! What we say, what we do and how we act is always important but never as important as when we are in the secular world. If we were gossiping and belittling someone and it was overheard, what kind of a testimony is that?
Pastor's mother, Dee told us about some bracelets she heard of. Ones that remind you to not be negative. She said each time a negative comment comes from your mouth, you move it to the other arm. I think if I could "snap" it like a rubber band, it would be more effective for me. (I'm a bit odd, but I like me anyhow) I also figured I could say something negative, realize it and respond with, "These bracelets are a pain" then not have to move it to my other arm cause I just said two negatives. Not sure anyone else follows my logic, but I got me.


My prayer today has been to stay positive even when under attack, when I don't feel like being positive and even when the other person doesn't deserve my sunshine. Not that I'm going to always avoid unpleasant things, because that would be impossible. But I will continue to try to not be hurtful with my words and to see both sides of things. I'm also thankful my mother had surgery on her foot this morning and it went well. I just hung up from talking with her. And laughing. How I love that!Praise God for mothers!!


One last thing. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of True Women 08? I just heard about it and am looking for feedback. From what I read, it sounds awesome! Let me know your thoughts.


Thanks for stopping in...see ya soon.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I vote that we stay at 3 Sisters - for the same reason Joyce said. I was thinking that, but wasn't bold enough to say it, I guess because everyone seemed so gungho on moving to the Christian coffee house. We're supposed to be salt and light --let's be salt and light!

Jada's Gigi said...

Hi Dawna and welcome back..and happy 50th birthday! I had a surprise 50th this year too. Lots of fun!

Dawna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.